So I quit my job...

So I quit my job.

I couldn't go on doing what I was doing, it was so against everything I believe in.

I learnt a lot from it though;

I learnt that doing the wrong thing because you have to can be soul destroying.
I learnt that I am actually a very strong person. I can stand up for what I believe in, even in the face of people who have been there longer, or have a higher education.
I learnt that I have some very strong beliefs about teaching.
I learnt that I can't just go to any school, I need the right school for me.

So I decided to write a new cover letter with all my philosophies on it, and decided that if the school doesn't want me from this cover letter then I don't actually want them, because they won't stand for what I stand for and it just won't work.

My coverletter version 3.0:


My name is Jonathan Broom and first and foremost I am an educator. 
I have very specific philosophies in my teaching that are very progressive, innovative and in line with modern, 21st century learning, understandings and beliefs. 
I do not believe in teaching to the middle of the bell curve. Learners in my class will be treated as individual learners, with all their own strengths and areas for development. It is important for all learners to experience success and be scaffolded through learning challenges. Learners in my class will know and be able to clearly articulate their next learning steps in any given subject. Led by a teacher they will plan their individual learning around their individual needs, these needs being informed by formal assessment, ongoing formative assessment and informal but frequent learner and teacher reflection. 
I have experience in developing highly individualised programmes and timetables with students, which allows me to act as a micro teacher of small group workshops, and to be a facilitator to learning. 
Learners in my class quickly become independent collaborators. They are able to work, learn and manage themselves independently, but also when required to collaborate and work together to achieve common goals. 
I believe in giving a choice of learning pathways through student-led, Inquiry-based exploration. 
Throughout all learning, I understand it is important to develop reading and writing, but it is also important to develop the 21st century fluencies; digital, media and visual. 
I have a sound understanding of technologies, and am not afraid to innovate with them in the classroom. I have intensively integrated ipads, in the past, into all areas of the curriculum, and see technology as a tool that learners should be able to, and need to be able to engage with at all levels of the school. 
Developing strong, connected relationships with students is my fortÄ“. I take time to get to know every one of my students based on who they are, and develop an steadfast, caring concern for their entire emotional, physical, and social well being. It is through these relationships that I command the respect of my students, rather than demanding it through extrinsically motivated behavior management techniques. 
I have chosen to put an application in at your school because I believe it aligns with my philosophies of what a school should be. I look forward to discussing with you how I can be a part of your teaching and learning team. 
Yours Sincerely, 
Jonathan Broom. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knowledge

What I did today...

Pity the Plight of Young Fellows...