What is real learning, anyway?

Image result for fortnite

As I walked around the group of students I was working with yesterday, I saw some students with devices out who were looking at ideas around projects they were working on.

One was looking at a YouTube video of Basketball, one of Rugby League, and one of Fortnite.

As I looked, I wondered to myself; who am I to say that any of these three students are learning less than the others? How can I prioritise one of these videos or experiences above another? Who am I to deny these students these opportunities, if it is going to help them in their future?

And who are we to say what will help them in their future? As we move into the exponential explosion of technology, can we safely predict what will or will not benefit students?

There is so much rhetoric now, for teachers to teach;
- National qualifications (NCEA in New Zealand)
- Social emotional learning
- 21st Century literacies
- Key Competencies
- Restorative Justice/Practices

Where do we start? How do we navigate this crazy area of educating our future?

There is no one size fits all, each of these three students are so different. One loves Fortnite and will sit there all day on it if he can. Is this good for him? The other loves basketball, lives for it, and will be outside all day shooting hoops, or inside watching basketball videos. The other will do anything to get out of any sort of traditional "work", and watching league was an escape for him.

How much of this is okay and should be allowed? And when should we jump in to say "no no no, you should be learning what I tell you to learn."?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knowledge

What I did today...

Pity the Plight of Young Fellows...