So I had an interesting idea the other day while in a staff meeting, Karyn pointed out that we need to give out kids learning choice in the classroom. I thought about the inquiry process I had set up and although I was giving the kids a wide range of learning area activities, I wasn't giving them as much choice as I could have.

As I wondered about how I could fix this I thought about kids choosing which learning area they'd like to work in, and it got me remembering how I used to have choice in my childhood. My thoughts wandered to those pick-a-path books that I used to have when I was a kid - "Do you want to enter the fair ground? If yes, go to page 12, if no go to page 49" - and I thought... Could I use that in my teaching?

If you had a big independent project, separated up into tasks, and for each task you gave the kids a range of curriculum areas to choose from - could you initiate choice that way?

If you want to do an arts task, go to page 23. If you want to do a literacy task, go to page 12.

Your tasks could still travel deeper into blooms, as the arts task after page one wouldn't be the same as the arts task after page 23.

Just a thought, I might try it after we finish the project they're on at the moment. The only down side would be the masses of planning and organising the teacher would have to do. But I like the name facilitator better than teacher, and that's what a facilitator would do!

Comments

  1. Wow, interesting thinking. Yes it would be lots of work, but it could produce very exciting and engaging learning. Look forward to seeing what you come up with. And I like the term facilitator better than teacher, teacher implies you are the one with control and power rather than the learner. Another take on the old saying " sage in the stage, or guide from the side."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea as well - what fun. Maybe even a 'whodunnit' detective theme??? Ah I love creative thinking, but putting it to the test sometimes insurmountable. The different levels of any type of game could represent the solo taxonomy that I am starting to get my head around.
    Imagine brainstorming the different ideas for games and how to create them - now that would be serious fun. Could start by asking the students what their ideas would include - maybe they write the script - then it becomes learner centered, and they are stakeholders in the process. I wonder how I could implement that into my little ones' learning, but when? It always boils down to time and getting people onboard.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knowledge

What I did today...

Pity the Plight of Young Fellows...